Choose another Topic

Berrien County Historical Markers

Berrien County


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Berrien County
  • Location: On Davis St (US 29) at the Courthouse in Nashville

BERRIEN COUNTY

Berrien County, created by Act of Feb. 25,

1856, was named for John MacPherson Berrien,

“the American Cicero,” who was born Aug. 23,

1781 and died Jan. 1, 1856. He was Judge of

the Eastern Circuit, U.S. Senator and U.S.

Attorney General. The county seat, Nashville,

was named for Gen. Francis Nash of N.C.,

distinguished soldier of the Revolution. First

county officers, commissioned April 21, 1856,

were: Sher., John Studstill; Clk. of Courts,

Richard A. Peeples; Tax Rec., John A. Money;

Tax Col., John M. Futch; Cor., James Dobson;

Sur., Seaborn J. Bradford; Ord. John Lindsey

010-3 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955