Choose another Topic

Ben Hill County Historical Markers

Ben Hill County


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Ben Hill County
  • Location: Located on Ben Hill County Courthouse Square, Fitzgerald

BEN HILL COUNTY

Ben HIll County, created by Act of July 31,

1906 from Irwin and Wilcox Counties, was

named for Benjamin Harvey Hill (1823-1882),

“one of America’s greatest orators.” A Staunch

supporter of the administration in the Confed-

erate Senate, after the War Between the States

he was an influential member of the U.S. House

of Representatives and Senate. First officers

of Ben Hill County, commissioned Jan. 5, 1907,

were: C.M.Wise, Ordinary; D.W.M. Whitley, Clerk

Superior Cout; W.H. Fountain, Sheriff; E. Gibbs,

Tax Receiver; W.L. Smith, Tax Collector, J.H.

Goodman, Treasurer; Oscar Barron, Surveyor;

William McCormick, Coroner.

009-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956