Choose another Topic

Bartow County Historical Markers

Euharlee Creek Covered Bridge


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Euharlee Creek Covered Bridge
  • Location: Located at bridge, county road 30, off Ga. 113, Euharlee

Euharlee Creek Covered Bridge

In 1886 the county contracted with Washington W. King, son of freed slave and noted bridge builder Horace King, and Jonathan H. Burke for the construction of this 138-foot bridge. It was adjacent to a mill owned by Daniel Lowry, of which the foundation is still evident. This bridge replaced several previous structures, the last having been built two years prior. Constructed in the Town lattice design, the bridge’s web of planks crisscrossing at 45-to 60-degree angles are fastened with wooden pegs, or trunnels, at each intersection.

2000.12

Erected by the Georgia Historical Society, Georgia Department of Transportation, and the Federal Highway Administration