- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Emerson
- Location: Emerson Municipal Building on Ga. 293 in Emerson
Named for Joseph Emerson Brown, Gov. of Ga., 1857-1865, U.S. Senator, 1880-1891. Known as Stegall’s Station prior to 1889; site of the Bartow Iron Works. May 20, 1864: Gen. Joseph E. Johnston’s forces [CSA] camped here after retreating from Cassville and burning the highway and R.R. bridges over the Etowah. Having heard that Sherman’s forces [USA] had moved southward from Kingston toward Dallas, Johnston resumed his march on roads that converged there, May 23d, 24th.
Allatoona, scene of Oct. 5, 1864, battle, is 2 mi. E.
008-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1952