- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Stoneman Raid
- Location: arrow County Courthouse Square, Winder, Ga.
THE STONEMAN RAID
BATTLE OF KING’S TANYARD
Coming in on Atlanta in July, 1864, Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman
found it “too strong to assault and too extensive to invest.” To
force its evacuation, he sent Maj. Gen. Geo. Stoneman’s cavalry
to cut the Macon railway by which its defenders were supplied.
At the Battle of Sunshine Church (19 miles NE of Macon), Stoneman
surrender with 600 men to Brig. Gen. Alfred Iverson, Jr.,
after covering the escape northward of Adams’ and Capron’s
brigades. Both units retreated via Athens, intending to resupply
their commands there and to “destroy the armory and other
government works,” but were stopped at the river bridge south
of Athens by Home Guard units with a battery of guns. Unable to cross,
they turned west; Capron on the Hog Mountain road through Jug
Tavern (Winder), and Adams on roads farther north by which he
reached the Union lines near Marietta without further losses.
Capron passed through Jug Tavern late that night and marched
to King’s Tanyard (5 miles NW on State 211) where he halted for
two hours to rest his exhausted command. Before dawn on August
3rd, he was surprised by Williams’ Kentucky brigade. About
430 of his men were captured and sent to Athens, a few escaping
through the words. Capron himself, with six men, reached the
Union lines near Marietta four days later – on foot.
This action, known also as the Battle of Jug Tavern, was the
final event of the Federal fiasco called the Stoneman Raid.
007-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957