Choose another Topic

Barrow County Historical Markers

Russell House


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Russell House
  • Location: Athens Highway (Ga. 53/Ga. 8), 5 Miles East of Winder

RUSSELL HOUSE

The Russell House was built in 1912 by

Richard Brevard Russell, Sr., B. 1861 - D. 1938,

and his wife, Ina Dillard, B. 1868 - D. 1953, who

were married June 24, 1891. Fifteen children

were born of this marriage. Judge Russell was

elected Chief Justice, Supreme Court of

Georgia in 1922, and served in this capacity

until his death. Mrs. Russell was Georgia’s

Mother of the year in 1950. In 1954, the late

Senator Richard B. Russell, Jr., the oldest son,

became the owner of the house and made it his

home until his death in 1971.

Russell Memorial Park and Cemetery is

located to the South of the house.

THIS MARKER WAS ERECTED BY THE WINDER LIONS CLUB & AUXILIARY, 1977