- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Fort Yargo
- Location: Ga 81 2 miles south of main entrance to Fort Yargo State Park at the Winder city limit sign
This remarkably preserved log blockhouse was built in 1793, according to historians. There are several references to Fort Yargo as existing prior to 1800. Its location is given as three miles southwest of “Jug Tavern,” original name for Winder.
Early historians say Fort Yargo was one of four forts built by Humphries Brothers to protect early white settlers from Indians. The other three forts were listed as at Talassee, Thomocoggan, now Jefferson, and Groaning Rock, now Commerce.
Fort Yargo is now a State Park with recreational facilities.
007-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954