|Date Built||1910; 2000|
|Architecture Style||Neoclassical Revival|
|Designer||Walter Chamberlain (1910); Britain, Thompson, Bray & Brown (2000)|
|Seat Information||The act creating Warren County named a commission to select the county seat and erect a courthouse and jail. Until that action was taken, Warren County courts were to meet in the house of James McCormick. By 1796, no county seat had been selected, so the General Assembly directed that county courts temporarily meet at the house of Sterling Gardner (Ga. Laws 1796, p. 7). An act of Feb. 9, 1797 designated a lot on Gardner's plantation as the permanent county seat of Warren County (Ga. Laws 1797, p. 34). This lot became the town of Warrenton, which the General Assembly incorporated on Dec. 8, 1810 (Ga. Laws 1810, p. 39).|
|Courthouse Details||The 1793 act creating Warren County provided that until a courthouse was built, courts would meet in the house of James McCormick. By 1796, no courthouse had been constructed, so the General Assembly directed that county courts meet at the house of Sterling Gardner (Ga. Laws 1796, p. 7). An act of Feb. 9, 1797 designated a lot on Gardner's plantation as the permanent county seat of Warren County (Ga. Laws 1797, p. 34). Reportedly, a courthouse was built in the public square of Warrenton in 1809. It is unclear how long this structure served, for in 1820, the General Assembly authorized a special tax in Warren County to construct a new courthouse (Ga. Laws 1820, p. 91). In 1909, the courthouse was destroyed by fire, and construction of the present courthouse was completed the following year. From 1999 to 2000, the courthouse was restored and enlarged to almost triple its former size.|
|County Area||286.8 Square Miles|
Warren County was created from Burke, Columbia, Washington, and Wilkes counties on Dec. 19, 1793 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1793, p. 10). Georgia’s 16th county was named for Massachusetts’ Gen. Joseph Warren (1741-1775), who was killed early in the American Revolution at the Battle of Bunker Hill.
In 1857, Glascock County was created entirely from Warren County (Ga. Laws 1857, p. 35). Also, portions of Warren County were used to create Jefferson County (1796), Taliaferro County (1825), and McDuffie County (1870).
|Web Site||Visit Web Site|
|Legal Organ||Warrenton Clipper|
|Chamber of Commerce Web Site||Visit Web Site|