Monroe [date of initial settlement unknown, but named, incorporated, and designated county seat by the legislature on Nov. 30, 1821]. Named for James Monroe, who was then holding office as the nation's fifth president.
Shortly after Walton County was created in Dec. 1818, court was held in a cow barn. Other buildings served as seat of government until the county's first courthouse was completed in 1823. That building served until 1845, when another courthouse was built. Walton County's third -- and current -- courthouse was completed in 1884. The clock tower was added in 1910, and the building underwent major restorations in 1933 and 1996. The 1996 renovation left the building's exterior in pristine condition. Additionally, the large courtroom on the second floor was restored, and the purpose of the courthouse was changed from a general-purpose county government building to a facility for holding superior court trials. As a result, county judicial and administrative officials and departments are housed in a number of courthouse annexes situated immediately across the streets to the north, west, and south of the courthouse square, while the Walton County commission has its own building at the rear of the courthouse.
330.1 Square Miles
Walton County was created from Jackson County on Dec. 15, 1818 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1818, p. 27). Georgia’s 43rd county was named for George Walton, signer of the Declaration of Independence, member of Congress, and early Georgia governor.