Choose another Topic

Return to Terrell County

City of Parrott

AddressP.O. Box 38
Parrott, Georgia 39877-0038
Phone(229) 623-2635
Fax(229) 623-2635

From the Parrott website:

The Creek Indians were the first to settle the area that is now Parrott. Their village was called Chenube. The original post office changed its name from Chenube to Parrott in 1889 when the town became incorporated.
Parrott was named in honor of Mr. John Lawson Parrott who donated the land for the business district, the churches and the school. The original stores were wooden structures. In the late 1800′s and early 1900′s, they were replaced by the brick buildings standing today.
The picture to the left is of John Lawson Parrott, whose home is located next to the post office on Old Dawson Road in Parrott.

Parrott began with a small cluster of stores and grew to include three general stores, a planing mill, a sawmill, a cotton gin and warehouse, and other businesses including a bar room.

The Parrott Depot was built around 1889 when the Columbus Southern (Columbus to Albany) railway was constructed. The first train arrived over the seaboard railroad in 1890.

In 1891 a two room wooden school building was dedicated and in September the school opened with an enrollment of ninety. The original school house is located to the left of the Methodist Church on Huckaby Street.

In 1901 the citizens feeling the importance of pure drinking water dug an artesian well on Main Street. Until 1906 those who cared for water to be pure for drinking purposes had to bring it in buckets to their houses from this well. The pump is visible in the left of the picture.

The people of Parrott were prosperous. The Chinaberry Club gathered under the chinaberry tree on Main Street to keep an eye on the day’s activities and play a few games of checkers while the large cotton bales lined the streets waiting to be transported to market by the railway.

It was said you could walk all over town on top of those bales, and there were probably many a school boy who did so. It was a time when cotton was king and the farms surrounding Parrott produced a lot of it.

King Cotton met his match in the boll weevil in the sixties, and the development of synthetic fibers did not help much either. When the mechanization of farming replaced the need for much of the workforce, it was strike three for the small town. Young families left to seek their future in cities where opportunities beckoned. Saturday afternoons became quiet and still. Businesses reluctantly closed their doors one by one.

Parrott became the home of the founding families who had invested wisely and the gentleman farmers who continued to work the land that had been in their families for generations. Though the population was sparse, the personalities were colorful and Parrott remained an enchanting place to live.

Powell’s Grocery remained open. Mr. Lawrence Powell would be found cheerfully standing behind his counter. His store provided the staples needed by the townsfolk. He was kind enough to run a “tab” for many. The few school children would file in every afternoon and charge candy and sodas to their parents with just a wave and a smile.

Over at Bob Perry’s Filling Station, the retired gentlemen would sit all afternoon. Although their conversations were surely concerned with topics of great importance, my Grandaddy was my Granny’s best source for town gossip after his daily visit there.

Frank Cook and his wife Beverly would sit out in front of Cook Brothers store. Some people figured they sat out there because there just was not any room left in the store. Frank and Beverly loved their flea market road trips and the store held the results of those buying sprees literally piled high with narrow walkways carved through. But among those piles of discounted clothes and throw away knick knacks were priceless antiques and collectibles. However, making a purchase usually took more persuasion than passers-by could muster (but…that’s another story).

In the late seventies, there was a brief stirring when Parrott was chosen as the location for the western, “The Long Riders,” because of its resemblance to an old western town. “The Long Riders” starred four sets of brothers: the Quaids, the Keaches, the Carradines, and the Guests, and detailed the exploits of the Jesse James gang.

The 2000 Census showed Parrott with a population of 156. The town is working to find its place back on the map and opportunities for businesses in the quaint downtown abound. Stop in and experience Parrott’s charm today!

Courtesy of Gail Alston