Dawson. The 1856 act creating Terrell County empowered the justices of the county's inferior court to select a site to serve as county seat. The justices chose a settlement in the center of the new county and named it Dawson in honor of William Terrell's friend, U.S. Senator William Dawson, who died in 1856. At the 1857 session, the legislature passed an act incorporating Dawson.
Terrell County's first courthouse was built in Dawson in 1857. The fate of that structure is not known, but its successor--the present courthouse--was built in 1892. The courthouse was renovated in 1936.
337.6 Square Miles
Terrell County was created from Lee and Randolph counties on Feb. 16, 1856 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1855-56, p. 117). Georgia’s 114th county, formed from portions of Lee and Randolph counties, was named for noted planter, promoter of scientific agriculture at the University of Georgia, and former Congressman and state legislator William Terrell of Sparta. Terrell died in July 1855, and a new county was named in his honor eight months later.