Conyers [designated county seat by the 1870 legislation creating Rockdale County]. Conyers originally was known as Rockdale and first appears on Georgia maps in the late 1830s. In the early 1840s, the Georgia Railroad planned for its rail line to go through the community of Rockdale. When a landowner refused to sell his property for a planned rail station, Dr. Conyers (a Covington banker) bought the needed lot. The Georgia Railroad subsequently named the rail stop Conyers Station. On Feb. 16, 1854, the town of Conyers was incorporated by the General Assembly.
It is not clear what served as Rockdale County courthouse prior to 1939, although it is known that a courthouse was built in Conyers shortly after Rockdale County was created in 1870. More recently, a brick annex was built adjacent to the courthouse.
132.1 Square Miles
Rockdale County was created from Henry and Newton counties on Oct. 18, 1870 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1870, p. 16). Georgia’s 135th county was named for Rockdale Church, which in turn was named for the large amount of exposed and sub-surface granite and related rock found in the area.