Eatonton [named for Connecticut general William Eaton; designated county seat 1808; incorporated Dec. 12, 1809].
This courthouse rests on one of the largest public squares in Georgia. The oldest portion of the building was constructed in 1824. It has been extensively remodeled, with square brick columns along the facade and an ornate, beautiful clock tower. The final remodeling was completed in 1906.
360.7 Square Miles
Putnam County was created from Baldwin County on Dec. 10, 1807 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1807, p. 3). No counties have been created from Putnam County. Georgia’s 33rd county was named for American Revolutionary War general Israel Putnam.