The Feb. 20, 1796 act creating Jefferson County designated Louisville as county seat. Louisville, also Georgia's capital at the time, was named in honor of King Louis XVI of France in recognition of French assistance during the American Revolution. Thea legislature incorporated the town in 1818.
Louisville served as Georgia's third capital city, until the capital moved to Milledgeville in 1806. Between 1806 and 1816 several private residences, the Louisville Academy, and an old coffee house served as locales for conducting public business. Eventually the old state capitol building was purchased for use as the county courthouse. A new courthouse was erected on the same sight in 1848, using much of the material from the older building. The current courthouse was built on this same foundation in 1904.
529.6 Square Miles
Jefferson County was created from Burke and Warren counties on Feb. 20, 1796 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1796, p. 7). Georgia’s 23rd county was named for former U.S. secretary of state and author of the Declaration of Independence, Thomas Jefferson.