Jeff Davis County
|Date Built||1906-07, 1994-95|
|Architecture Style||Neoclassical Revival (1906-07)|
|Designer||W. Chamberlain & Co. (1906-07); Brittain, Thompson, Bray, Brown, Inc. (1994-95)|
|Seat Information||The 1905 act creating Jeff Davis County designated Hazlehurst as county seat. Hazlehurst originated around 1880 as a depot on the Macon & Brunswick Railroad located on the Appling-Coffee County line. It was named for Col. George Hazlehurst, a civil engineer who surveyed the path of the railroad through that area. On Aug. 22, 1891, the legislature incorporated Hazlehurst (Ga. Laws 1890-91, Vol. II, p. 689).|
|Courthouse Details||The Jeff Davis County courthouse was completed in 1907. The two-story building was constructed with exterior walls of concrete blocks covered in stucco. The courthouse was extensively renovated in 1975 (see photo). In 1994-95, the courthouse was renovated again, with a large addition built behind and joined to the old courthouse.|
|County Area||335.5 Square Miles|
Jeff Davis County was created by an act of the General Assembly approved on Aug. 18, 1905 (Ga. Laws 1905, p. 55). By the terms of the act, the new county became effective on Jan. 1, 1906. Jeff Davis County was formed from northern portions of Appling and Coffee counties, with its original boundaries specified as:
Beginning at a point on the Altamaha river which bounds the present counties of Appling and Tattnall, being at the northeast corner of land lot 659; thence running the land line south to the southeast corner of land lot 443; thence due west the land line to the southwest corner of land lot 448; thence again due south the land line to the southeast corner of land lot 272; thence again due west the land line to the southwest corner of land lot 271; thence due south the land line to the northeast corner to land lot 222; thence due east the land line to the northeast corner of land lot 224; thence again due south the land line to the southeast corner of land lot 122; thence again due west the land line to Coffee county line dividing Appling and Coffee counties at the southwest corner of land lot 116; thence beginning at the southeast corner of land lot 116 in Coffee county and running west the land line to the southwest corner of land lot 129; thence running north the land line to the Ocmulgee river, which now forms the present boundary line between the counties of Coffee and Telfair, all being in the first district of Coffee county; thence along the Ocmulgee and Altamaha rivers to the point of beginning.
Georgia’s 142nd county was named for former Confederate president Jefferson Davis.
|Web Site||Visit Web Site|
|Legal Organ||Jeff Davis Ledger|
|Chamber of Commerce Web Site||Visit Web Site|