Sparta. Named for the famous Greek city, Sparta was founded in 1795 by American Revolutionary officer Maj. Charles Ambercrombie of North Carolina. It was designated county seat in 1797 and incorporated by the legislature on Dec. 3, 1805.
After the Hancock County's creation, court was initially held in a wooden building known as Four Mile Store. Later, a wooden courthouse was built in Sparta. A two-story brick courthouse was built in the 1800s on the site of the current courthouse. This building was torn down in 1881 and replaced by the present courthouse, which opened in 1883. Restoration work on the building was completed in the 1970s. The interior of the building was destroyed by fire in 2014.
478.8 Square Miles
Hancock County was created by an act of the General Assembly approved on Dec. 17, 1793. Created from portions of Greene and Washington counties, Georgia’s 15th county was named for John Hancock, who was a noted leader in the independence movement leading to the American Revolution. A portion of Hancock County was used to help create Taliaferro County in 1825.