|Architecture Style||Greek Revival|
|Seat Information||Greensboro [originally spelled Greensborough and named for Maj. Gen. Nathanael Greene]. Settled in 1780s, designated county seat by the General Assembly in 1787, desginated permanent county seat in 1802, incorporated Dec. 10, 1803.|
|Courthouse Details||Greene County's first courthouse--a wooden structure--burned during an Indian attack on Greensboro in 1787. It is not known what served as courthouse for the next 60 years, but construction of a new brick courthouse for the county was completed in 1849. Built by Atharates Atkinson, this probably is Georgia's best known example of Greek Revival architectural style. At the time of its construction, the top floor was reserved for use as a Masonic Lodge, a function still served today. In 1938, the courthouse was remodeled.|
|County Area||406.3 Square Miles|
Greene County was created from Washington County on Feb. 3, 1786 by an act of the General Assembly (Marbury and Crawford’s Digest, p. 162). Georgia’s 11th county was named for Revolutionary War hero Maj. Gen. Nathanael Greene. A few months earlier, Greene and wife Catharine had taken residence near Savannah at the Mulberry Plantation, which was a gift from the Georgia legislature in appreciation for his victorious campaign against British forces in the southern theater of war. Unfortunately, on June 19, 1786, General Greene died from overexposure to the Georgia sun.
Portions of Greene County were used to help create Taliaferro County in 1825. Additionally, areas of Greene County were transferred to Oglethorpe, Clark and Taliaferro counties between 1794 and 1877.
|Web Site||Visit Web Site|
|Legal Organ||Herald Journal|
|Chamber of Commerce Web Site||Visit Web Site|