The 1905 legislation creating Grady County designated Cairo as the county seat. The date of Cairo's first settlement is not known, but its name appears on an 1838 map of Georgia, suggesting initial settlement prior to that date. The town is believed to have been named for the Egyptian or Illinois city of the same name. Cairo was first incorporated by the legislature on Oct. 28, 1870.
The current Grady County courthouse was completed in 1985 after the previous courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1980. The previous courthouse was built in 1908, three years after the county's creation. The designer of that courthouse was Alexander Blair.
460.4 Square Miles
Grady County was created from Decatur and Thomas counties on Aug. 17, 1905 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1905, p. 54). Georgia’s 139th county was named for former Atlanta Constitution editor Henry Grady, who urged Georgia farmers to diversify and end the state’s economic dependence on cotton.