|Designer||IPG Project Management: Mallett Consulting, Inc.|
|Seat Information||The Dec. 24, 1821 act organizing Fayette County authorized the justices of the county's inferior court to select the county seat (Ga. Laws 1821, p. 44). Subsequently, the justices selected a site for the county seat, as evidenced by an 1822 map of Georgia that shows a site in Fayette County marked "C.H." At some point in 1822 or 1823, the county seat became known as Fayetteville. On Dec. 20, 1823, the legislature designated Fayetteville as county seat and incorporated it as a town (Ga. Laws 1823, p. 178).|
|Courthouse Details||The 1821 legislation organizing Fayette County authorized the justices of the county's inferior court to select a county seat and provide for erection of a courthouse and other public buildings (Ga. Laws 1821, p. 44). Until such buildings were constructed, Fayette County courts were to meet in such places as the inferior court directed. It is unclear where court met for the few years, but in 1825 a two-story courthouse was constructed. It was remodeled in 1965 into a 3 story building. Though no longer serving as courthouse, this structure is the oldest former courthouse still standing in Georgia . In 1983, a fire set by arsonists badly damaged the third floor, and destroyed the roof and clock tower. Restoration of the courthouse began in August 1983 and was completed in May 1984. However, after the fire, Fayette County officials decided that the old courthouse was inadequate for the growing county and authorized construction of a new county courthouse annex. That annex was completed in 1985 and became the new Fayette County courthouse, as well as center for county government offices. Continuing growth of Fayette County led county officials to authorize construction of a Fayette County Administration Complex, which was completed in 1992. Yet another new structure - the Fayette County Justice Center (pictured) - was completed in 2003.|
|County Area||199.3 Square Miles|
Fayette County was created on May 15, 1821 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1821 Extra. Session, p. 3). Dooly, Houston, Monroe, Fayette, and Henry County were created in that order by the Georgia Land Lottery Act of 1821, which was enacted at a special session of the General Assembly four months after the Creek Indians ceded lands between the Ocmulgee and Flint rivers on Jan. 8, 1821 in the first Treaty of Indian Springs.
Fayette County was organized by an act of the legislature approved Dec. 24, 1821 (Ga. Laws 1821, p. 44). That same act added the 4th, 5th, 13th, 14th, and 17th districts of Henry County to Fayette County. Later, portions of Fayette County were used to create the following counties: DeKalb (1822), Campbell (1828), Spalding (1851), and Clayton (1858).
Georgia’s 51st county was named the Marquis de Lafayette (1757-1834), a French adventurer who at age 20 accepted a commission as major general in the Continental Army during the American Revolution. Lafayette became a trusted field officer and friend of Gen. George Washington, and was widely considered a hero in America.
|Web Site||Visit Web Site|
|Legal Organ||Fayette County News|
|Chamber of Commerce Web Site||Visit Web Site|