What was first known as Elbertville was designated county seat in 1790 and later incorporated by the legislature on Dec. 10, 1803, as Elberton.
374.6 Square Miles
Elbert County was created from Wilkes County on Dec. 10, 1790 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1790, p. 10). Georgia’s 13th county was named for Gen. Samuel Elbert, who commanded Continental forces in Georgia during the American Revolution and subsequently served as govenor (1785-86).
Portions of Elbert County were used to help create Madison County (1811) and Hart County (1853).