Choose another Topic

Return to Clayton County

City of Lovejoy

IncorporatedSeptember 26, 1891
Address2296 Talmadge Road
Lovejoy, Georgia 30250
Phone(770) 471-2304
Fax(770) 471-6499

From the Lovejoy city website:

Known as Lovejoy Station during the Civil War, an act creating and incorporating the Town of Lovejoy, in the County of Clayton, was approved September 16, 1861. For many years, the city did not have an organized government. In 1972, citizens of the community-established boundaries began operating under the old City Charter. A junk ordinance was passed and a beautification program began. In 1975, the Georgia General Assembly approved a new charter for the city.

Before and during the Civil War, farmers bought cotton and watermelons to the city to be shipped by rail to other states. Lovejoy was the site of a cotton gin until 1932. The community once had six stores: a bank, post office, depot, 2 warehouses, and a garage. In later years, Lovejoy was the home of Hastings’ Seed Farm and the site of a quarter-horse farm.

In the past, Lovejoy was best known as the home of former Senator Herman Talmadge and the home of Talmadge Farms. Senator Talmadge resided in Lovejoy until his divorce. Mrs. Betty Talmadge was granted use of the Talmadge home where she entertained politicians and corporation members with her recipes and southern décor.

Frank Lovejoy, whom the city was named, is buried in the Lutheran Church Cemetery on Lovejoy Road. The church, established in the early 1800s, burned in 1896. One of the best-known citizens of the community was the late Dr. J.K. Wallis. He began his medical practice in Lovejoy in 1904 and continued until his death in 1956. People from all over the country came to Dr. Wallis in horse and buggy. The Wallis House has been restored and is now called Lovejoy Manor.

Many of the old buildings in Lovejoy are over 100 years old. Some show the signs of being constructed near the railroad because the brick walls are cracking. Lovejoy is divided down the middle by a railroad track. One of the old brick buildings on the west side of the railroad tracks was once the post office. The post office is now located on Talmadge Road and was built in 1989. Another of the old brick buildings on the west side of the railroad was the Farmer’s Exchange.

The City of Lovejoy, the City of Peace, is growing rapidly. Its small neighborhood community atmosphere has proven to draw many newcomers with their families.