|Designer||Biggers, Scarbrough, Neal, Crisp & Clark|
|Seat Information||The legislation creating Chattahoochee County named James R. Love, William Bagby, David M. Glann, William Wooldrige, and Joshua M. Cook as commissioners to locate a site for the county seat, purchase the land, lay it off into town lots, sell the land, and use the proceeds for construction of public buildings (Ga. Laws 1853-54, p. 288). According to Kenneth Krakow, the commissioners designated the site of the county seat on April 10, 1854, and named it Cusseta, after the former Creek town and trading post of the same name. In an act of Dec. 22, 1855, the General Assembly incorporated Cusseta and designated it as permanent county seat (Ga. Laws 1855-56, p. 362).|
|Courthouse Details||At some point after Cusseta was designated county seat, Chattahoochee County officials had the county's first courthouse erected there. A large, two-story wooden structure, the old courthouse was moved in 1974 to Westville, a composite 1850-era Georgia town consisting of restored houses and other structures in neighboring Stewart County. Here, under the sponsorship of the State Bar of Georgia, the old Chattahoochee County courthouse was restored to its original appearance. In 1975, county officials built a new one-story brick courthouse, followed by the larger county government office building adjacent to the courthouse in 1976.|
|County Area||251.2 Square Miles|
Chattahoochee County was created on Feb. 13, 1854 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1853-54, p. 288). Created from Muscogee and Marion counties, Chattahoochee County’s original boundaries were specified as:
. . . to commence in the centre of the mouth of Upatoi Creek at the Chattahoochee River, thence up the centre of said Upatoi Creek to the old original line of Talbot County, thence South embracing two ranges of lots of land in Marion County, thence along the line dividing Muscogee and Stewart Counties to the Chattahoochee River, thence up the Chattahoochee River to the point of beginning.
Georgia’s 109th county was named for the Chattahoochee River, which forms its western boundary.
|Web Site||Visit Web Site|
|Legal Organ||The Stewart-Webster Journal|
|Chamber of Commerce Web Site||Visit Web Site|