High Victorian Eclectic with Colonial Revival elements
Bruce & Morgan
Pursuant to the act Dec. 24, 1825 act creating Butts County, the inferior court selected a site and purchased land in 1826 for laying out of a county seat. That site was ratified by the General Assembly by an act of Dec. 26, 1826, with the legislature incorporating the land purchased by the inferior court as the new town of Jackson (Ga. Laws 1826, p. 177). The town was named in honor of Andrew Jackson, who was a hero in Georgia because of his campaigns against the Creeks, and his victory over British forces at the Battle of New Orleans.
The 1825 act creating Butts County provided that county superior and inferior courts meet at the house of Jacob Holly until a courthouse could be built. In 1826, the county's new inferior court purchased land for erecting public buildings and laying out a county seat. In Dec. 1826, this site was incorporated as the town of Jackson, and a log courthouse was built. In 1827, construction began on a larger courthouse -- but this building burned before completion. A new courthouse was completed and in use prior to Feb. 1828. One report indicates that a fourth courthouse was built in 1860, but whatever courthouse was in use in 1864 was burned during Sherman's March to the Sea. In 1872, the legislature authorized Butts County to borrow up to $5,000 to build a new courthouse (Ga. Laws 1872, p. 395). The following year, the amount that could be borrowed was raised to $9,000 (Ga. Laws 1873, p. 229). Whether this legislation resulted in a new courthouse is unclear -- but it is known that the current courthouse was completed in 1898.
190.0 Square Miles
Butts County was created by the General Assembly on Dec. 24, 1825 from portions of Henry and Monroe counties (Ga. Laws 1825, p. 63). Georgia’s 70th county was named for Capt. Samuel Butts, a member of the Georgia Militia killed in battle against the Creek Indians during the War of 1812.