|Designer||J. Glenn Gregory & Associates|
|Seat Information||The 1856 act creating Berrien County appointed William Roberts, Josiah Parish, Cornelius Tison, Jasper M. Luke and Owen Smith as commissioners to purchase land for a county seat. However, the law also directed that election of county officials be held on the first Monday of April 1856. Should the commissioners not have selected a county seat by the time of the election, the new justices of the county's inferior court were authorized to make this decision. Shortly thereafter, the community of Nashville was named county seat. Like its Tennessee counterpart, Nashville was named for Revolutionary War heroGen. Francis Nash (1742-1777), who was mortally wounded in the Battle of Germantown. The General Assembly incorporated Nashville on Dec. 20, 1892 (Ga. Laws 1892, p. 162).|
|Courthouse Details||The act creating Berrien County authorized the county's inferior court to contract for construction of a courthouse and other public buildings (Ga. Laws 1855-56, p. 112). Reportedly, a log schoolhouse served as the county's temporary courthouse until a two-story wooden structure was built in 1858. That structure served until the present two-story brick courthouse was built in 1898.|
|County Area||457.8 Square Miles|
Berrien County was created on Feb. 25, 1856 by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1855-56, p. 112). Georgia’s 116th county was created from portions of Coffee, Irwin, and Lowndes counties. Cook County was created from Berrien County in 1918. Also, portions of Berrien County were used to create Tift County (1905) and Lanier County (1920). Berrien County was named for former U.S. Senator, U.S. Attorney General, and Georgia politician John Macpherson Berrien (1781-1856).
|Web Site||Visit Web Site|
|Legal Organ||The Berrien Press|
|Chamber of Commerce Web Site||Visit Web Site|