City of Preston
|Incorporated||December 22, 1857|
180 Montgomery Street
Preston, Georgia 31824
Preston, the county seat of Webster County, was incorporated December 22, 1857. The city was known as Lannahassee and was the first white settlement after Creek Indians left the area. When the city was created, its name changed to honor Senator William C. Preston of South Carolina, who fought in the Civil War.
Webster County was originally named Kinchafoonee County, but was changed three years after its creation. The Webster County courthouse in Preston, built in 1915, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.