City of Louisville
|Address||211 E. 7th Street
Louisville, Georgia 30434
Louisville, the county seat of Jefferson County, was incorporated 1786. The city was named in honor of King Louis XVI of France, because of the support given by France to the Colonials in the Revolution.
The Jefferson County courthouse, built in 1904, stands on the site of Georgia’s first permanent capitol, constructed in 1795. The courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Louisville was Georgia’s third state capital, but its first “permanent” capital. The city’s layout is similar to that of Philadelphia, in terms of the grid plans of streets and squares. The Old Market House, the county’s major tourist attraction, dates to the 1790s and served as the commercial center for the region during the time that the state capital was in Louisville.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Louisville had a population of 2,712 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population increase of 9.1%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.