City of Lincolnton
|Incorporated||December 19, 1817|
|Address||125 N. Peachtree Street
Lincolnton, Georgia 30817
Lincolnton, incorporated December 19, 1817, is the county seat of Lincoln County. Both the city and the county were named for General Benjamin Lincoln, a Georgia officer who fought in the Revolutionary War.
The courthouse in Lincoln County was constructed in 1915 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Lincolnton participates in the Better Hometown Program run by the Georgia Department of Community Affairs. This community development program is a public-private partnership intended to revitalize small communities with populations between 1,000 and 5,000. These cities have access to technical assistance and fiscal resources designed to stimulate downtown revitalization
According to 2000 Census, the City of Lincolnton had a population of 1,595 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population increase of 8.1%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.