City of Leesburg
|Address||107 Walnut Avenue N.
Leesburg, Georgia 31763
Leesburg, the county seat of Lee County, was incorporated in 1898. It is one of the earliest cities in the state. The name of the city prior to Leesburg was Wooten. It was founded in 1872 and had its courthouse burned the same year.
The courthouse in Lee County, built around 1918, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
There are only two incorporated municipalities in Lee County, Leesburg and Smithville. Both towns are located on U.S. 19, in the southwest region of the state.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Leesburg had a population of 2,633 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population increase of 81.3%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.