City of Lawrenceville
|Incorporated||December 15, 1821|
|Address||70 S. Clayton Street
Lawrenceville, Georgia 30045
|Fax||(770) 963- 9239|
Lawrenceville, the county seat of Gwinnett County, was incorporated on December 15, 1821, making it the second-oldest city in the Atlanta area. The city is named after Captain James Lawrence, Commander of the Frigate Chesapeake during the War of 1812. Captain Lawrence, mortally wounded, gave his men the battle cry, “Don’t give up the ship.”
The Lawrenceville courthouse has had its share of interesting events since its inception in 1821. The courthouse is where controversial publisher Larry Flynt was shot and paralyzed during an obscenity trial. Today the historic courthouse in Lawrenceville houses the Gwinnett History Center. Nearby, the Gwinnett History Museum houses a collection of Georgia folk artifacts.
Numerous events are hosted throughout the year in Lawrenceville, including the annual Lighting of the Tree on Thanksgiving Day, an event that draws between 6,000 and 8,000 people to the county’s historic courthouse.