City of LaGrange
|Incorporated||December 16, 1828|
|Address||200 Ridley Avenue
LaGrange, Georgia 30240
LaGrange became the county seat of Troup County on December 16, 1828. LaGrange is named in honor of General Marquis de LaFayette’s estate in France. LaFayette, a French soldier and statesman, earned recognition due to his service to the United States during the American Revolution.
Points of interest in LaGrange include the LaFayette Fountain, a replica of the LaFayette statue in LePuy, France that stands on the courthouse square. A National Historic Landmark of note is Bellevue, the Benjamin Harvey Hill House, built from 1853-1855.
It is a significant example of the “domesticated temple” form of the Greek Revival style. Events taking place in LaGrange throughout the year include the Bike Ride Across Georgia (BRAG), Celebrate the Chattahoochee, the Affair on the Square, and the annual Independence Day parade, held in historic downtown.
According to 2000 Census, the City of LaGrange had a population of 25,998 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population increase of 1.7%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.