City of LaFayette
|Incorporated||September 30, 1885|
207 S. Duke Street
LaFayette, Georgia 30728
LaFayette was incorporated as county seat of Walker County on September 30, 1885. The city was named in honor of the French nobleman, the marquis Marie Joseph Yves Gilbert Du Motier LaFayette, who assisted America during the American Revolution.
The courthouse in Walker County was constructed between 1917 and 1918 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The first courthouse in Walker County was a “double-log house” at Crawfish Springs (now Chickamauga) that had been used by the Cherokees as a council house.
In 1835, the county seat was moved to LaFayette and a second courthouse was completed three years later on the town square. This two-story stuccoed brick structure survived a bloody Civil War battle only to be lost to fire in 1883, taking with it 50 years of county records. About five miles west of the city is Pigeon Mountain Wildlife Management Area. Managed by the Department of Natural Resources, the area features several thousand acres of hunting, horseback riding, hiking and caving opportunities. An especially interesting feature is a series of old tunnels left over from early 20th century mining operations.
According to 2000 Census, the City of LaFayette had a population of 6,702 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population increase of 0.7%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.