City of Jesup
|Incorporated||October 24, 1870|
|Address||106 S. Main Street
Jesup, Georgia 31545
Jesup, pronounced “Jess’-up,” is believed to be named for General Thomas Sidney Jesup who is responsible for providing service during the Creek War of 1836. Incorporated on October 24, 1870, Jesup is the county seat for Wayne County.
There are a number of historic sites in Jesup listed on the National Register of Historic Places, including the “Little Red Caboose” and Railroad “Section” House, the Carter House, and the Wayne County courthouse.
The City of Jesup is the home of Altamaha Technical Institute, a member of the Georgia Department of Technical and Adult Education.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Jesup had a population of 9,279 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population increase of 3.6%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.