City of Hiawassee
|Incorporated||May 17, 1956|
|Address||71 S. Berrong Street
Hiawassee, Georgia 30546
Hiawassee, the county seat of Towns County, was incorporated on May 17, 1956. (Earlier the city was incorporated as the town of “Hiwassee”, October 24, 1870.) Hiawassee, a Cherokee word meaning “meadow”, is the only incorporated municipality in the county.
The City of Hiawassee and the Hiawassee River have long been popular tourist areas. In the 1800s through the 1930s, wealthy families from the lowlands would “summer in the mountains” to escape the heat and disease more prevalent in the larger populated areas.
The Fred Hamilton Rhododendron Garden is a Hiawassee attraction that features 2,000 rhododendron and azalea plants and wildflowers.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Hiawassee had a population of 808 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population increase of 47.7%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.