City of Georgetown
|Incorporated||December 9, 1859|
|Address||121 Main Street
Georgetown, Georgia 39854
Georgetown, the county seat for Quitman County, was incorporated December 9, 1859. The city was named for the historic community in Washington, D.C. Georgetown was originally called “Tobanana” after a nearby creek.
Georgetown is the county’s only incorporated municipality. The Quitman County Jail, with 12” thick brick walls, is on the National Register of Historic Places. Another historical city landmark is the Harrison-Brannon-McKenzie antebellum cottage.
U.S. 82 is the major highway that runs through Georgetown. This southwest Georgia city is bordered on the west by Lake George, across the bridge from Eufaula, Alabama.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Georgetown had a population of 973 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population increase of 6.5%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.