City of Gainesville
|Address||P.O. Box 2496
Gainesville, Georgia 30503
Gainesville, the county seat of Hall County, was incorporated on November 30, 1821. It was named for Virginia-born General Edmund Pendleton Gaines, a hero of the War of 1812. Mule Camp Springs was the city’s original name.
Gainesville’s Lake Lanier, with a 540-mile shoreline, is a favorite recreational site with golf courses, a water park, horseback trails, campgrounds and overnight accommodations. Other places of interest in Gainesville include the Elachee Nature Science, the Georgia Mountain Museum and Brenau Center. The Mule Camp Festival is a popular annual event that takes place in October.
The city is home to Gainesville College, a member of the University System of Georgia, and Brenau University, a private four-year woman’s college
According to 2000 Census, the City of Gainesville had a population of 25,578 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population increase of 43.0%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.