City of Fayetteville
|Incorporated||December 20, 1823|
|Address||240 Glynn Street
Fayetteville, Georgia 30214
The City of Fayetteville was incorporated and made county seat of Fayette County on December 20, 1823. It was named in honor of the Marquis de Lafayette of France who fought against England in the American Revolution. The city’s courthouse, built in 1825, is the oldest in Georgia and listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Fayetteville is a city that hosts many annual events, including the Old Courthouse Art Show in May, the Main Street Festival in October, and Christmas in Fayetteville in December.
Fayetteville’s newspaper, The Fayette County News, has been in operation since 1886.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Fayetteville had a population of 11,148 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population increase of 91.3%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.