City of Elberton
|Incorporated||December 10, 1803|
|Address||203 Elbert Street
Elberton, Georgia 30635
Elberton, the county seat of Elbert County, was incorporated on December 10, 1803. The city was first called “Elbertville” and named for General Samuel Elbert of South Carolina who fought in the Revolutionary War. Legendary settlers like “Old Dan Tucker”, the subject of an American folk tune, and Nancy Hart, the Revolutionary War heroine, claimed Elberton as their home. Known as “The Granite City”, Elberton produces more granite monuments than any other city in the world. There are an estimated thirty-seven granite quarries where the famous Elberton blue-gray granite is quarried.
Other attractions in the city include the Granite Museum and Exhibit, the Bicentennial Memorial and Fountain and the Georgia Guidestones. The Georgia Guidestones is a 19-foot high granite monument, located in a field just north of Elberton, which proclaims a message for the conservation of mankind in 12 languages.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Elberton had a population of 4,743 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population decrease of -4.6%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.