City of Brunswick
|Incorporated||December 3, 1812|
|Address||700 Gloucester Street
Brunswick, Georgia 31520
Brunswick, the county seat of Glynn County, was incorporated December 3, 1812. Brunswick was founded in 1771 and received its name from the King of England, George III of the House of Brunswick. Many of the street and square names reflect English heritage - Gloucester, Halifax, London, Newcastle and Prince.
Downtown Brunswick is part of the Old Town National Historic District. The heart of the downtown district is historic Newcastle Street lined with Victorian buildings, shops, art galleries and restaurants.
Brunswick tradition goes back to plantation farming, as the city did originally belonged to a settler. This history can be viewed at the Hofwyl-Broadfield Plantation, where tours portray the lifestyle of Brunswick’s original settlers.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Brunswick had a population of 15,600 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population decrease of -5.1%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.