City of Blackshear
|Address||318 E. Taylor Street
Blackshear, Georgia 31516
Blackshear, the county seat of Pierce County, was named in honor of General David Blackshear (1764-1837). General Blackshear was responsible for commanding the troops that constructed Blackshear Road, a route between Hartford and the Flint River in the early 1800s.
The Marion Anderson Library Black Heritage Collection in Blackshear contains about 300 volumes and oil paintings addressing black heritage. This is the largest publicly accessible collection of this type in the region.
Annually, the City of Blackshear hosts HarvestFest, a fall festival that takes place on the second Saturday of October. Blackshear has two historic structures that are listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Pierce County courthouse and the old Blackshear jail. The jail is one of only two hanging jails that remain in Georgia.
Blackshear participates in the Better Hometown Program run by the Georgia Department of Community Affairs. This community development program is a public-private partnership intended to revitalize small communities with populations between 1,000 and 5,000. These cities have access to technical assistance and fiscal resources designed to stimulate downtown revitalization.
According to 2000 Census, the City of Blackshear had a population of 3,283 persons. Between 1990 and 2000, the city experienced a population increase of 0.6%, compared to the state growth during this period of 26.4%.