City of Baconton
|Address||P.O. Box 399
Baconton, Georgia 31716-0399
The City of Baconton, the birthplace of the paper-shell pecan industry in Georgia, is located in Mitchell County, conveniently at the crossroads of U.S. Highway 19 and State Road 93, 16 miles from Albany, 278 miles south of Atlanta.
The town was named for Major Robert James Bacon who came with his wife, in 1858, purchasing 4,000 acres of land for $4,000. Major Bacon was an industrialist, a large cotton planter, and a director of the Savannah, Florida and Western Railroad Company, later named the Atlantic and Gulf Railroad and finally the Atlantic Coastline. During the construction of a railroad from Albany, Georgia to Thomasville, Georgia, he gave the right-of-way for the S.F. and W. to go through his plantation. The engineers located a station on his plantation and without his knowledge named it Baconton in his honor in 1869.
The George W. Jackson House was built in 1891 and is the focal point of the City. It is significant architecturally, as the largest and most impressive Victorian era residence in Baconton. Its size, overall design, detailing, and degree of integrity render it an extraordinary local building. The house is significant in local history as the home of George W. Jackson, heir to the mid-nineteenth century Jackson estate. He was one of the earliest and largest pecan growers in the area. He was also one of the two principal developers of Baconton. The Jackson-Davis House is individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The structure was acquired in the Fall of 1995 by the City of Baconton with plans to restore the old home to its former glory.