In Their Own Words
February 07, 1733
Early Colonial Fire Recorded
Less than a week after arrival of the first Georgia colonists, Peter Gordon recorded a catastrophe:
“… About noon a fire broke out in the guard room, which instantly consumed the same, and burnt severall chests that were in it belonging to owr people and likewise a hutt adjoyning to it belonging to Mr. warren, whose things were likewise burned. It was with much difficulty we gott the powder out of Mr. Oglethorps tent, which stood almost joyning to the fire, and which we preserved by taking it emediately down. After we hade gott the fire pretty near extinguished, one of the large pine trees near 100 foot high took fire and to prevent further damage we were obliged to cutt it down, and in the fall it broke too [two] barrells of beef and one barrell of strong bear [beer] in pieces and damaged the end of one of owr tents. …”
Source: [no author or editors cited], Our First Visit in America: Early Reports from the Colony of Georgia, 1732-1740 (Savannah: Beehive Press, 1974), pp. 14-15.