This Day in Georgia History
December 10, 1873
Church of Immaculate Conception Dedicated
After more than four years of construction, Atlanta’s Catholic Church of the Immaculate Conception was dedicated. The church was built one block from the Atlanta City Hall, its cupola could be seen between the two church towers. In 1885, the city hall was torn down and in its place construction of the current state capitol began. The dirt street to the left of the church today is Martin Luther King Jr. Dr.