This Day in Georgia History
October 13, 1885
State School of Technology Authorized
Gov. Henry McDaniel approved an act of the General Assembly authorizing creation of a state school of technology as a branch of the University of Georgia for training students in the industrial and mechanical arts. The legislation also created a commission to select a location and secure buildings and grounds for the new school. Location was to be determined by the commission in the city or town “which shall offer the best inducements for such location.” Subsequently, the commission chose a site north of downtown Atlanta as the home for the Georgia School for Technology, which held its first classes on Oct. 8, 1888. In 1948, the Board of Regents would rename the school the Georgia Institute for Technology.