This Day in Georgia History
June 16, 1802
Treaty of Fort Wilkinson Signed
At Fort Wilkinson, located west of the Oconee River and just south of present day Milledgeville, the Creek Indians signed the Treaty of Fort Wilkinson in which they ceded two parcels of land to the United States. One was a narrow strip west of the Oconee and Appalachee rivers, the second a wider (roughly twelve miles) strip running from the Altamaha to the St. Marys River. In exchange the U.S. agreed to provide the Creeks with various goods, including blacksmith tools, over the next ten years.