This Day in Georgia History
June 11, 1735
Trustees Decided on New Settlement
In London, Georgia’s Trustees decided to build a new town and fort at the mouth of the Altamaha River - the colony’s southern boundary - and that the next colonists sent to Georgia would go there. In 1736, James Oglethorpe chose St. Simons Island (which lay immediately south of the mouth of the Altamaha) as the site Georgia’s new settlement, which was named Frederica in honor of the king’s son, Frederick.