This Day in Georgia History
March 21, 1927
R.H. Macy & Co. Opened Store in Atlanta
Without fanfare, R. H. Macy & Co. opened its new downtown Atlanta store under the banner Davison-Paxton’s on Peachtree St. The new $6 million building was the largest department store south of Philadelphia. The store remained known as Davison’s until it took the Macy name in 1985. With the increasing popularity of suburban shopping in the 1960s and ’70s, Davison’s (later Macy’s) became an anchor store of Atlanta area shopping malls. The Peachtree St. Macy’s continued in business until 2003, when it closed. Four years later, it was placed on the List of Endangered Buildings.