This Day in Georgia History
March 12, 1898
Atlanta Accepted Cyclorama Painting Gift
The city of Atlanta accepted George Gress’ gift of the Cyclorama painting of the Battle of Atlanta. The gift was conditioned on city officials making repairs to the circular wooden building in which the painting was housed in Grant Park, and on the city funding repairs to the giant canvas (which was 50 feet in height and 400 feet in circumference). Repairs were made to the building, which served as the Cyclorama’s home until a new marble building was completed in 1921 (where it has been housed since).