This Day in Georgia History
February 22, 1892
Cyclorama Painting Went on Exhibit
The Cyclorama painting of the Battle of Atlanta was placed on exhibit in a new building on Edgewood Ave. The painting had been purchased in September 1890 at auction by Paul Atkinson – a Georgian – for $2500. Atkinson had then exhibited the mammoth historical painting in Nashville and Chattanooga before bringing it to Atlanta in February 1892. After being on display for a year, Atkinson sold it to H.H. Harrison of Florida, who planned to exhibit it at the Chicago’s World Columbian Exposition in 1893. Exposition officials, however, demanded that he build a brick building to house the painting, which Harrison was unable to afford. On Aug. 1, 1893, the painting was auctioned off for $1100 to Ernest Woodruff, who sold it a week later to George Gress and Charles Northern, who devised plans to exhibit the painting in Grant Park.