This Day in Georgia Civil War History
May 01, 1864
Bakehouse Opened at Andersonville
At Camp Sumter (Andersonville prison) the bakehouse, which was located outside the west wall near the prison creek, began service on this day. It was never able to prepare rations for more than a fraction of the growing inmate population, while grease from the facility was emptied into the creek branch upstream of the stockade; this polluted the only source of water for the prisoners.