Worth County


Click map for more
county information

Worth County was created Dooly and Irwin counties on Dec. 20, 1853, by an act of the General Assembly (Ga. Laws 1853-54, p. 308). Georgia's 106th county was named for Maj. Gen. William J. Worth of New York. Worth, who had gained fame during his service in the Mexican War, died in 1849, the year after the war ended. One of those in Worth's command during the war was Maj. William Harris, who later was a leader in the formation of a new Georgia county, which he proposed be named in Worth's honor.

Portions of Worth County were used to create Tift and Turner counties in 1905 (Ga. Laws 1905, p. 60, 63).

Worth County Place Names

 Historical Maps
 
 
1855
 
1863
 
1864
 
1865
 
1874
 
1883
 
1885a
 
1885b
 
1895
 
1899
 
1904
 
1910
 
1915
 
1952
 
1955
 
1970a
 
1970b
 
1999
 
2001a
 
2001b


GeorgiaInfo Worth County Page